Saturday, January 21, 2023

Back for good

 So that's that then. I'm back in the land of the ice and snow, and swimming in the sea and empty Shabbat streets are already turning into memory.

I have so psychologically prepared myself for the despair that was sure to accompany my return home that I think I've overshot, and I'm actually feeling pleasantly happy to be here. I've had that magical thing you get when you talk to a stranger in English for the first time and it's as easy as pie to understand and be understood. The weather is also playing its part in easing me back in: it's been relentlessly sunny, still and the kind of wild cold that's impossible to ignore, and which makes you feel like an explorer every time you leave the house. I'm writing this from a pub in North East London where I'm eating Monster Munch and drinking proper tea with milk and all suddenly feels familiar and sort of wonderful.

So this is the last blog entry until the next one. Thanks for reading along with me and my latest mid-life crisis. The picking up of the pieces can now begin in earnest. I've got choices to make, a new job to start, choirs to either join or create and a good Jewish woman to find and marry. I'd better get on with it.

Tea and Monster Munch prompt deep musings and sensations of belonging. As per usual...


3 comments:

  1. this midlife crisis was brilliant. i give it 10/10 and can't wait for the next one to come out!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous1:55 pm

    Agreed - exotic updates to punctuate the Welsh winter are always welcome! Welcome home. (Pippa)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dude! How did I not know you had a blog?? Jack just told me, so now I have a shittone of entries to comb over.

    Welcome home, and I hope you enjoyed your travels.

    ReplyDelete