Saturday, October 08, 2022

From the rubble of the old life...

Not wanting to go into the gory details, let's just say that I'm once again living out of a suitcase and booking complex, multi-stage trips involving a hundred browser tabs.

The plan this time (almost five years after my last post here) is to go to Israel. This might sound familiar to long-term readers, since that was exactly the plan that led me to getting stuck in France in 2006. But this time it's not quite the "sell everything and never come back" statement it was then. Although it's not far off that.

I've got a job to come back to in London in February so it's definitely just a jaunt to see the country and, crucially, get to grips with the language.

Me being what it is, I've left it so late to book anything that I opened my laptop this morning to find that the course I wanted to do is fully booked and the flights in the week I wanted to travel are completely sold out. Mid-October is a busy time in Israel because there's a super-Saturday-style cluster of big name Jewish festivals around then, so it's a bit like expecting to get flights home one week before Christmas.

But I like to think that I still remember how to turn a crisis into an opportunity so I've sent a begging email to the language school, and booked a multi-leg flight to Tel Aviv via... why Rhodes of course!

So I've got three nights in a little apartment in the centre of Rhodes Old Town, which looks pretty beautiful and should offer me some decent strolling opportunities. I might even get to swim in the sea.



Then I'm off to Tel Aviv where I've got an apartment in a trendy neighbourhood booked for the first seven days to find my feet and work out what's what.

Despite all the personal chaos of the last month or so, I'm excited. It's all new and unknown, and with the prospect of a job to come back to, I don't have to feel like I've completely TNT'd my whole life.

1 comment:

  1. Good luck. I'd say mazal tov but it has a different meaning.

    ReplyDelete